Skip to main content

Lesson Learned the Hard Way

_MG_7845_edited-1
I have a lesson that I have learned the hard way, I learned it with the loss of 12 years worth of my photography, with the only surviving work being the limited amount that I had curated and shared on my recently started Flickr page.  12 years worth of passion and work that I can never get back, and
that I can never truly replaced.  It all happened when the hard drive on my laptop decided to destroy itself, in the time span of one day, while the laptop was on but I was not actively using it, leaving me with a hard drive that is unrecoverable.  That did not seem like a disaster on its own, as I had all of my work backed up on Microsoft One Drive (which is really convenient to use and nicely allowed me to access my work from any computer that I was on) but that is when the true loss happened.  What happened what that i upped my level of storage as I was sitting right at my limit, but during the process of the upgrade of storage all of my photography was I lost with no way to get it back.  12 years worth of passion and art with no way to recover it and no way to really replace it.  Now all that I have left is a limited amount of work that I have on my Flickr page, but I had so much raw work that I have not curated and edited for posting for sharing with the public. 

Flowers for desk top

It was this loss that has taught me a lesson that I would have much rather learned in another way, and that is to not trust just one way of backing up your work (be it photography writting or what every you passion is) that the cloud is not the only place that you should store it, that you should also store it on another physical medium (or more then one) like a external hard drive or better yet both, as you never know when your primary storage and a back up will fail you at the same time, leaving you empty handed, unless you have more backups. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Temptation Of The High

While being balanced mode wise is something that is good and something that I am glad to be, although I do wish that my medications made me feel less drained like I have been dragging a heavy weight around with me while I do things, in part because my mind seems to be sort of slow and just not totally with it at times leaving it to take a lot of energy to concentrate and get things done and that mental energy also has a physical manifestation as well, and is what tends to make me feel the most drained. while it is good to be balanced it is hard to not want to have a taste of the forbidden fruit that I have been brought down from having a minor taste of and that is to be on the more manic side of things.  It is times like this when I know that the meds are keeping me from an amazing natural high, that it is so tempting just to stop taking my medications.

Word Verification.

As some of you will soon start noticing I have started to use word verification in order for comments to be posted, unfortunately I had a spat of spam comments occur and I don't want to have to waist my time removing spam comments. So to help and combat the problem I have been forced to intorduce word verification into the commenting procsses.  I hope that doing so dose not discurage you guys (my readers) from posting your comments as I truly do value getting to hear your prospectives on things and talk with all of you. Untill next time dear readers. 

It's Past Time To Boycott Motts, And Spread the word.

Some of you may not know this but the workers at Mott's factory in Williamson NY (their only factory) have been forced out on strike, after the company walked away from the bargaining table when the workers refused to accept a new contract that cut wages buy $1.50 an hour while downgrading the medical plan increasing employee medical cost as well as slashing their pension and 401K plans.  Even thought the company recently acquired by Dr. Pepper Snapple, made a profit of $555 million last year as well as increase in stock value of 35%!  To add further insult to injury over the time of "economic hardship" that company is using to justify the wage, pension, 401K cuts and increase in worker health care cost, those in charge of the company proceeded to double their salaries!