Skip to main content

Hiding In The Sand


I find that I feel like a bad person lately for my total lack of engaging in the current events going on in the world around me on any meaningful level, scientific topics on the environment, politics all the way up to current events in Syria, where I know just the most basic facts from the odd news headline or post that drifts past me on Facebook where I don't even really read them at all. (and I have a couple of friends, one in particular that is very plugged into all of that) I don't watch the news, the most news I get is reading the local headlines of the local paper online, not even reading the stories.  I feel like as an adult I should be plugged into those things, and that it is part of my responsibility as one to be as well informed as I can possibly be, yet I am in effect hiding my head in the ground to the world around me. this is something that had been gnawing away at me in the back of my mind for a while until it suddenly came into sharp focus.

It all came into sharp focus, when I was having a conversation, and a rather long one at that, with a friend who is quite involved in these topics and quite knowledgeable too, even if they are on the pessimistic side of things. I realized during that conversation how much I really tired to mentally glance over everything from the science coming out on the environment to Syria. It was a willful effort to not let those sorts of things sink into my mind but to instead let them bounce right off, like a rain drop on a roof. How much I actively wanted to leave my self in the dark, like if I let the information in not only was there nothing that I could do about it but that it would do me harm, and that I would rather stand on the sidelines with my back turned to it all. That I had to protect something.

It seems to me like such a childish thing to do and way to think, to think that if you do not acknowledge it and don't have anything to do with it that it will go away entirely.  It makes me feel so stupid that I do such things and that I have such a strong need to protect myself, like those things are going to hurt me.  It is like I fear that they are going to sour my views that they will kill the hopes that things will get better, and force me to deal with things other then the immediate issues in my life and with myself. You know to do the things that an adult is supposed to do and focus on more then just them selves, and to focus on the larger world around them to even if that means that things are unpleasant or can at least seem that way.

 I feel like not only do I fail at so many other things in my life but that I am failing at being an adult too, that I am trying to shelter my self like someone tries to shelter a child for all the things in the world around them that might not be happy good things.  And that is not good but I can't seem to stop doing it, like there is something wrong with me.     

Comments

  1. Well, to be honest, for the most part I pay little attention to most "news". I do keep abreast of world events at least on a big picture level. The reason I don't pay a lot of attention to the news is how does knowing about a local murder, or arson, etc help? I have no power to effect any change whatsoever, violence bothers me anyway, so I just elect to ignore.

    The deal with the world news is to watch for rumblings that could turn into yet another world war, or civil war that could spill over those borders. I dont look at pictures of the dead, or dying etc. Yes, I know I'm a whimmpy person, but I'm ok knowing that about me.

    Be happy, ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I am/have been hunkered down, and I am slowly starting to come out of that place, tentatively dipping my toes in the water so to speak. I think that the medication level change on one of my meds is helping that process.

      I am seeing it in the light of that it is not a part of me not being an adult, but it is a part of me trying to defend what was left of the good, and the optimism in my life in a period where of being low. not horribly but still low) And that as I pull out of that low I will no longer have that need to protect myself from things that in the first place are not as big a threat as I my seem to make them out to be.

      I hope that that makes since. It is really the best way that I can put it at the moment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Insight Into Myself From Article Together Alone: The Epidemic Of Gay Loneliness

So I recently read this article on The Huffington Post Hightline called Together Alone: The Epidemic Of Gay Loneliness this article is one that I would highly recommend reading.  It is an article that touched me in a significant way.  The article fouces on why even thought the gay community has come a long way in gaining equal rights, it still suffers from high rates of suicide, depression, anxiety and substance abuse.  The article points out that "are between 2 to 10 times more likely then straight people to take their own life. Where twice as likely to have a major depressive episode" And this pattern holds up in countries that where even early adopter to things like gay marriage.  While there virtually no study on the subject in the US in Canada it has been found that more gay men a year die from suicide them they do for HIV/AIDs if those finding are to hold true in the US suicide could be the next major epidemic with in the gay community taking countless number of lives…

This I Believe: God Is Still There Even When You Want To Die

I would like to share my This I Believe essay that I wrote for my English class.  The essay is based on the format of the essays on the this i believe  web site, which is dedicated to this types of essays.  They are modeled after a 1950's radio show hosted by Edward R Murrow by the same name, where every one from World leaders, CEO's and Celebrities to Teachers, and Secretaries would send in essays and the ones that where selected would read them on air.  The essays are between 450 to 600 worlds long and would take about 3 minutes to read aloud at a natural speaking pace. The essays are about a guiding value in your every day life.

When We Rise Review.

I know that I am late to the game on When We Rise on ABC, but I have just finished watching it on demand.  I would say if you have not watched it, it is a must watch.  The series is very well put together, and it gets you wrapped up in it from the very start, and you will want to binge watch the whole series in one sitting, This the cinematography in this series is first rate, and the use of music helps to increase the emotional impact of this series, I have to admit that I teared up multiple times through out the series, as you get so deeply engrossed in what is going on that emotionally you wined up placing yourself into what is going on.  While I wish that they had put in a few more things in the gay rights movement it really dose a very thorough job of showing the fight for equality.  More after the jump.