Skip to main content

We've Got To Keep The Loonies On The Path (2.0 Edited/corrected)


Ok so today I would like to talk about something that has been on my mind lately, and has been kind of eeking me.  It has been how we, at leas in this country, have a double standard when it comes to anything mental health related.  It is actually quite shameful to tell the truth, as society as a whole we seem to shun and separate out any one that we suspect (or know) of having any sort of mental health issue and treat them like they are some sort of contagious freak, or at the very least like they are some shameful weak willed failure of a person, because they suffer from an illness.  Yet this is just the tip of the shameful iceberg.


It is truly funny how as a country we handle these sorts of things, socially mental health is a very taboo topic something that is very shameful.  Most of the time one is treated as weak, as less of a person because they have an  issue, yet if the same person where to have a physical heath issue like hart disses of high blood pressure they would not be treated with nearly so much social stigma.  As it seems to be an unspoken but commonly accepted belief that anything pertaining to ones "mental well being" is a weakness of character and failing, and a weakness of their own, and therefor their own fault, thus something they should simply "snap out of". Yet you wouldn't go up to some one with hart disease and tell them to "snap out of it", so why would that same person go up to some one suffering some another just as real medical disease and tell them they need to just "snap out of it", and expect their problem will be solved? 

The other thing eeks me about this (and I think plays a part in exacerbating this issue in a way) are the adds for the medications themselves.  They almost always start off in a manner that is layering more quilt onto the perspective recipient, throwing in how they are hurting their friends, family, coworkers etc, then in the next breath they switch the the sales pitch and start at it.  But the thing that really gets me is that go at like they are selling you a brand new car (the really is the closet thing that it comes off as being) leaving off with the line of ask your doctor about prescribing this.(Its almost aken to ask your dodge dealer it)  I mean really, so we have piled on a layer of guilt to people that we already know society as a whole basically shuns, who, in all likelihood have not told hardly any one if any one, that they are suffering form any thing to ask their doctor (whom your rep has probably already visited and bribed. err given "perks and samples to") to prescribe them a drug! A drug that comes  with a laundry list of side effects that they don't understand,  and we call this the enlightened western way of practicing medicine?


I'm sorry I think as a society we need to truly take a long hard look at our selves (and at this issue) in the mirror, do we really want to see a country that shuns and shoves aside our brothers, our sisters, mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, just because they have an issue with their mental health.  Do we want to be the nation that makes people feel that seeking out help, help that can make living their lives easier, that can allow them to often live "normal" productive lives, even save their lives, because doing so no longer caries a negative social stigma.  OR do we want to continue to be a nation that shoves people who are demand the be not mentally "normal" or the need "help" to the side into that dark corner where they can hide with their social secret?  DO we want to continue to foster a social stigma that keeps people from getting help, that causes so many countless lives to be lost each year?  This is a decision that is long past due to be made, but something tells me that it is a decision that still will not be made in my life time. (So I guess it's back to the dark little corner where those with social secrets, and not the gay, are hidden)

PS extra credit if you know where the quote in the title came from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Word Verification.

As some of you will soon start noticing I have started to use word verification in order for comments to be posted, unfortunately I had a spat of spam comments occur and I don't want to have to waist my time removing spam comments. So to help and combat the problem I have been forced to intorduce word verification into the commenting procsses.  I hope that doing so dose not discurage you guys (my readers) from posting your comments as I truly do value getting to hear your prospectives on things and talk with all of you. Untill next time dear readers. 

The Temptation Of The High

While being balanced mode wise is something that is good and something that I am glad to be, although I do wish that my medications made me feel less drained like I have been dragging a heavy weight around with me while I do things, in part because my mind seems to be sort of slow and just not totally with it at times leaving it to take a lot of energy to concentrate and get things done and that mental energy also has a physical manifestation as well, and is what tends to make me feel the most drained. while it is good to be balanced it is hard to not want to have a taste of the forbidden fruit that I have been brought down from having a minor taste of and that is to be on the more manic side of things.  It is times like this when I know that the meds are keeping me from an amazing natural high, that it is so tempting just to stop taking my medications.

Financially Incapable, Money Is The Problem

Being able to control one’s own finances is one of the important parts of being able to be a independent adult, and is something that is supposed to come along with being one as well.  It means being able to live within a budget and spending one's money wisely within that budget.  It also means having a realistic idea about what your income is and how much money you have to spend and being able to weigh that against financial decisions and the merits of purchases that one wishes to make keeping in mind the required purchase that one has to make and the cost of them.   Which is why the realization that I seem to be utterly incapable of controlling my finances is coming as such a blow,